Table of Contents
Carbomers are white, fluffy powders, but they are widely used as a gel in cosmetics and personal care products.
It is a term used for several polymers composed primarily of acrylic acid.
Carbomers are found in various product types, including skin, hair, nail, makeup products, and toothpaste.
Furthermore, the chemical formula of the carbomer: C3H4O2
What is Carbomer used for?
- Carbomers are thickeners that help control the viscosity and flow of cosmetic products.
- They also help to disperse and suspend insoluble solids in liquids and prevent the oily and liquid parts of a solution from separating.
- They can absorb and retain water and swell up to thousand (1000) times their unique volume when water is dispersed.
- Generally, this period of ingredients is used in gelatinous formulations because it forms a slimy colloidal
consistency when mixed in water.
- This ingredient is found in an inclusive variety of personal care products such as styling gel, face moisturizer, sunscreen, shampoo, anti-ageing, eye cream, cleanser, and exfoliator.
Carbomer side effects
- This ingredient has been safe for use in cosmetic products.
- Reviewing acute oral and skin studies, they found that carbomers have a low potential for phototoxicity.
- But Photo contact allergenicity, skin irritation, and sensitization at concentrations up to 100%.
The best products with carbomers
- Since you don’t see carbomers as selling points for the products, you probably wouldn’t know they were there, but carbomers are common.
- “There are so many products that contain carbomer, from shampoo to lotion to hand sanitiser,”
1. Soothing Gel 95 from Varuza Aloe Vera
- If you prefer a gel-like texture to keep your skin hydrated, check out the healing powers of aloe vera in Varuza Aloe Vera 95 Soothing Gel.
- Aloe vera offers many skin healing benefits, such as reducing inflammatory acne and preventing fine lines and wrinkles.
- According to Baylor College of Medicine, Aan also helps with hair problems like dandruff when applied to the scalp.
2. Cetaphil SPF 15 daily moisturizer for the face
- Those who select a cream-based formula to keep their complexions hydrated are the popular Cetaphil SPF 15.
- The Daily Facial Moisturizer is light and perfect for the day as it contains an integrated broadband sun protection factor.
3. Any Coconut & Lemon Natural hand sanitiser
- Every natural hand disinfectant gel made from coconut and lemon contains 99.9% for a disinfected hand on the go.
- Effective at fighting common germs and has a formula that won’t make your hands sticky or dry.
4. Optrex Night Repair Gel Eye Drops for Dry, Tired and Irritated Eyes
- Gel eye drops that rehydrate and repair your eyes while you sleep
- The specific formulation containing hyaluronic acid helps to restore the eye’s hydration levels helping to protect from discomfort
- Thanks to the gel format characterized by a higher viscosity (compared to the other eye drops in the optrex actidrops range), it stays longer on the ocular surface
5. Artelac – Bausch + Lomb * night eye gel
- Artelac Night Eye Gel supplements the tear film, including the essential outer lipid layer, for maximum relief and maintenance of hydration on the eye’s surface.
- It has a soothing and restful effect on the eyes while at the same time locking in moisture to provide long-term relief.
- It is an ideal product for all people with a range of dry eye symptoms such as tired, stressed, grainy, burning, and watery eyes.
Benefits of carbomers for the skin
- While carbomers alone don’t do much to improve skin conditions or treat an existing problem or problem, they can provide benefits when included in certain products.
- Carbomers are the supporting cast in a movie or the supporting singer on an album.
- They may not be the show stars, but the whole thing couldn’t come together without their help.
1. Thicken or even out the texture of products
- “Carbomers are thickeners that help control the texture, viscosity, and flow of many cosmetic products.
2. Prevents separation in products
- They also help allocate and suspend insoluble solids in liquids and to avoid separation of oil and liquid parts of a solution, “says Dr Vasyukevich.
- This valuable property makes moisturizers thinner act as emulsions.
3. Improve product consistency
- “Carbomers can easily absorb and hold water and expand immensely when suspended in water, up to thousand (1000) times their original volume,” explains Dr Vasyukevich.
- “By mixing carbomers to things like shampoos, conditioners, creams, and lotions, the formulations appear richer, smoother, and creamier.”